Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Problem With Free Range Chickens...

... is free range laying.  You would think I would know by now that when my egg supply dwindles and the birds are ranging that I should start hunting.

Yesterday my daughter came to me all excited because she had found the "secret" nest.  My silly hens found an old cardboard nesting box in the barn and had been using it.  Sigh... I give them perfectly good nesting boxes that they used all winter and now I have to check everywhere.  They certainly keep me on my toes.



2 comments:

The Paisley Butterfly said...

Your free range chickens seem to like adventure! I guess they are trying to force you into an adventure, too :)

Polly G. said...

I have had chickens for many years. We did the free range, all-around-the-farm thing. No More! I do not like chicken poo on the front porch, at the dog dish, in my milk parlor, on my garden tools, on my back porch. They are penned up in a movable pen, enjoying fresh grass two or three times a day, or in their chicken house with a large fenced in yard. Poo to free rangers.