Monday, August 20, 2007

Great Weather!

I have been yearning for a couple of cool, rainy days ever since summer began. I finally got them- yesterday and today. BAKING DAYS! I have missed oven baked bread and freshly baked cookies! Yesterday I experimented with french bread. I made the dough in the bread machine and then finished it in the oven. The results were so-so. It tasted good but I wouldn't have turned it in to be judged at a fair. I also made a batch of snickerdoodle cookies which the family promptly inhaled.

Today I'm going to make the french bread completely by hand and see what the difference is. I also plan on experimenting with making a casserole. Amy Dacyczyn in The Tightwad Gazette 3 provides a basic recipe sent to her by Maria Kleinberg (Sterling Heights, MI):

1 cup main ingredient (tuna, chicken, turkey, ham ,seafood)
1 cup second ingredient (celery, mushrooms, peas, hard boiled eggs)
1-2 cup starchy ingredient (potatoes, pasta, rice)
1 1/2 cup binder (cream sauce, sour cream, creamed soup)
1/4 goodie (optional) (pimiento, olives, almonds, water chestnuts)
Seasoning
Topping (potatoe chips, cheese, bread crumbs)

The combinations and possibilites are endless. I have on hand today: chicken, eggs, pasta, sour cream, olives and cheese. Sucess at the Lewis home is if 3 of the 4 children give the dish the thumbs up! 4out of 4 is too much to hope for... LOL! All I can say is ladies of Westside Baptist Church I am prepared to come with casseroles!

Cyndi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want this recipe. This sound great.
Jill