Friday, August 31, 2007

Frugal dinner - Beans and rice!




Tonight I am putting on a crock pot of black beans to simmer through the night and the rest of the day tomorrow until dinner time. I love this meal because it takes so little work to prepare, it is yummy and filling AND it is really, really CHEAP!! I put half a small bag of black beans in my crock pot, cover them with water, add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and turn the pot on low. Tomorrow morning I'll add any seasonings (and a touch more water if need be) and continue to cook it on low until its time to eat. (5:00pm is what I shoot for.) About 1/2 hour before dinner I cook some rice in my rice cooker, heat up tortillas, prepare any toppings (lettuce, cilantro, sour cream, cheese, guacomole) and then dish up! Not a fussy meal at all! I usually will serve some fruit as a side with this meal but that is it. Easy Peasy.


No comments: