Monday, March 9, 2009

Meal Plan Monday




You'll notice a couple of repeats from last week's menu. Last week was so busy I didn't have time to get a couple of crock pot meals started and thus ended up eating from our pantry and freezer stocks- something that was easy to pull out of a hat without much thought or pre-prep!
I love cooking with the crock pot but I have to remember to start the dishes on time so they can cook all day.

Monday
Creamy Italian chicken on pasta
Corn
Bread sticks
Pudding

Tuesday
Chili
Bread
Salad
Cookies

Wednesday
Meatloaf
Mashed potato
Salad
Challah bread
Cheese cake

Thursday
Spinach/cheese/sausage calazones
Fresh veges
Cookies

Friday
Strawberry Belgain waffles
Bacon
Vanilla ice cream w/ toasted coconut/chocolate sauce/strawberries

Saturday
Cheese soup in cheese-bread bowls
Summer sausage
Fresh veges
Berry Crisp w/ vanilla ice cream

Sunday
Salad with hardboiled eggs
Garlic cheese biscuits
Minister's Delight

These are not the most basic of meals and yes, we could eat cheaper but I'm addicted to eating out, so if the meals are a bit more than basic I tend to be able to avoid the temptation to say, "Let's just eat out." That little phrase is the budget killer and my weakness.

Some prep, ahead of time, at the right parts of the year help the food budget too. I have berries in the freezer that we picked at a u-pick farm last summer. Baking from scratch lowers the bill too... all the bread items are homemade and I serve them in abundance. Bread is filling and allows our meat servings to be smaller. Most of the desserts are homemade too. My food budget goes further on the baking aisle of the grocery store then the junk food aisles. Also all of my eggs and cheese and most vegetables are bought in bulk at Costco. (The DH is in management there.)


For more Meal Plan Mondays go on over to the Org. Junkie's site!

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Hi there!! I stumbled across your blog and enjoyed so much as we have alot in common. I was wanting to follow your blog from my blog but didnt see the option on your page. Any suggestions?

Cyndi Lewis said...

Hi Wendi,
You're pushing my so not technical buttons. LOL!! I will see if I can figure out how to add the follow option for you. Wish me luck.

Cyndi Lewis said...

Success! I did it! I added the follow gadget! I'm doing a happy dance now! Now somebody sign up, please.

Anonymous said...

My weakness is calling my husband and asking him to bring home a stromboli or pizza. Having any kind of menu helps me with that.