Friday, May 14, 2010

Planting early is a crap shoot!

You know we aren't proponents of gambling so I don't know why we try and start plants before its really time in Michigan. It really is a gamble.

Lettuce doing great!

More lettuce doing great.

Spinach- not harmed by the freeze we had but not doing exceptionally well. We think the two year old seed is not good.

A different type of lettuce, not doing as good as the other two, but trying. This was new seed (at least we bought it this year).


My poor lemon balm. It was so pretty and then we had two nights of freezing weather. But all I have to do is trim off the blackened leaves and it will be just fine.

My lavender can't quite decide what to do. Most of it looks dead but there are some signs of green life.

Chives doing just great- They are about to blossom. I will cut off the blossoms and let them grow more. At the end of the growing season I let the blossoms go to seed and the chives replant themselves.

My beautiful tomatoes- all dead. The blueberries are fine though.

Corn- kaput!

Pumpkins and basil- kaput.

Cilantro barely hanging on.

Strawberries looking good.


New tomato plant being kept up on the deck for easy moving inside on any more cold nights.

Even the lilacs (My very favorite flower.) around the area bit it. They were flowering but not quite to full potential when the freeze happen. Lilac season abruptly ended.


Now most of the shrubs look like this.

I did find one still blooming quite nicely.
If you want to see some fine lilacs and get some ideas for using these edible flowers check out this. I don't have any lilacs in my yard but next year I will scavenge some from the sides of public roads to play with. (I see people doing this every year.) Unless of course I have land by then. If I do I'll plant plenty of bushes.

2 comments:

Dana said...

The only thing that held me back from starting everything too early was the fact we just moved and didn't actually have anywhere to put plants. Good thing, too. We had a LONG warm spell and then a few frosts just last week.

Hoping to make some coldframes this year, though, to extend the season a bit on either end!

Cyndi Lewis said...

We thought since we built a little greenhouse we'd be fine but the greenhouse only protects from frost not a good hard freeze which we had two nights in a row about a week ago. But every mistake we make we learn from- eventually we'll get this gardening stuff down. LOL.