Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Candy Making Dreams?


I have recently been dreaming about opening a candy store: fudge, toffee, chocolates etc. Candy is big business in Michigan's Upper Penninsula. Mackinac Island is loaded with fudge shops, as is the mainland in that area. I make a great fudge, but my divinity never turns out quite right- it's either too hard or too soft, I made too soft carmel earlier this year (it was in-between dipping consistancy and being solid enough to cut into soft pieces) and too brittle/slightly burnt toffee a few days ago. Making my own candy isn't looking too good. Perhaps if I made each thing more than once a year?


Making candy always has this romantic notion tied to it but I think it is a very difficult skill to master and is a lot of work. I tip my hat to people who make a go in the candy biz as manufacturers- especially small home businesses.


Perhaps I'll just open a candy store that sells other peoples candy. Dylan's candy bar in NYC is very popular. http://www.dylanscandybar.com/


Now I'm off to make some more fudge, try my hand at this year's divinity and make a batch of peppermint bark.
www.christmas-cookies.com/reicpes/recipe191.fantasyfudge.html for my fudge (It's the recipe on the back of Kraft's Jet-puffed marshmallow creme.)
www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/5739 for layered peppermint bark
Mom Lewis' Divinity: Dissolve in Pan: 5 cup sugar, 1 cup Karo syrup, 1 cup hot water, 1/2 tsp. salt. Mix until boils. Stop stirring, wash off grainy stuff from top of pan, cook to 248 degrees (250 for rain). Beat three egg whites till stiff. Slowly add hot mixture and 2 tsp. vannilla to eggs. Beat until it loses its gloss. Add nuts when gloss returns, pour into baking dish. Refridgerate. I should say that my mother-in-law lives in Western Oregon which is not a high altitude place so if you live at a higher above sea level place you will need to determine the right tempurature to cook your candy to. Please don't ask me to do the math for you. LOL!
Let me know how these recipes work for you!


No comments: