Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Home made playdough




The DH was so good to me last week. I was exhausted and feeling blah, so he spent an afternoon (after a full day of work) in the kitchen with my oldest making five batches of homemade playdough because the oldest had been bugging me to for the longest time. He just stepped right in and helped her all the way through.


This playdough was my saving grace all last week. The kids spent hours with it. It gave me a wonderful time of rest. Thank you Lord, for small mercies. Here is the recipe:


2 1/4 cup flour

1 cup salt

1 tablespoon alum (my grocery carries this with the spices)

4 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 1/2 cup boiling water

food coloring


Combine flour, salt and alum in bowl. Add oil. Stir in water until mix holds together. Knead dough until smooth. Add food coloring. Makes about three cups. You can divide a batch into sections and color them differently or you can make one whole batch one color. My kids loved having so much of one color to work with.


This is safe to eat but, the salt makes its taste quite blah!

4 comments:

Brenners said...

How fun! I should get some alum and make some playdough too. That would entertain my cabin fevered 3 year old.

Thanks for your comment. I went back and reread what Rachelle had said after I posted my comment on yours. I loved your Texas line. It was worth reading out loud to my husband. :~)

Dana said...

I make this too, but use cream of tartar instead of alum. I also use a packet of dry kool-ade mix instead of food coloring in with the dry ingredients.

My girls could play with play-doh every day and not get bored with it.

Glad you have some help!

Blessings--
Dana

Anonymous said...

How nice of your hubby!
I love the on the table play. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the colour of your dough! Well done... mine are mostly too old now for playdough but you've reminded me of such great times playing with it together when they were younger. Thanks :)

Mandy
6ichthusfish.typepad.com