Friday, February 20, 2009

Homemade Thursday (On Friday)- Daily Bread Part 2

A beautiful finished product

A cup full of ice helps form a crispy crust

Scoring of the bread

Shaped and floured loaf

A baker's best friend- Silpat


My baking set up (I don't have a baker's stone)
As promised here is the second part of my bread post. Yesterday I made the dough and placed it in the refrigerator overnight. This helps develop flavor and makes the dough easier to handle. After taking it out of the refrigerator, I shaped it and floured it right on my Silpat lined baking sheet. Then the bread rests for 40 minutes. While the bread is resting, I set up my pans in the oven: One pan on the bottom to hold ice for steaming and an upside down pan on the rack above to serve as my baking stone. When the pans are in place, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
After 40 minutes have passed, score your bread anyway you like using a serated knife. Quickly load the bread into the oven and toss a cup of ice onto the bottom pan. Shut the door ASAP so the steam from the melting ice doesn't escape. Bake the bread for 20-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. That's it Folks. Easy Peasy! No more store bought bread for me.


1 comment:

Sharri said...

Hi, I ran across your great blog and really enjoyed it!
I just thought since I am having a great dvd giveaway on my blog, I'd pass it along in case you're interested.
http://sharrissnapzshotz.blogspot.com/
The Dvd is about Christian homesteading. :)
Blessings!
Sharri