Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fall is here!


This is all that is left of my pie pumpkin. Yesterday I made my first pumpkin pie from a pumpkin. (Yes, you can do that.) You can find step by step instructions at www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/pumpkinpie.php . They even have pictures. My pie tasted great but it didn't look as pretty as I would have liked. (Whipping cream covers a multitued of sins.) It was pretty easy to do. The only difficulty I had was getting the darn pumpkin cut open. That would have made an interesting "you tube" video. But finally I succeeded and the rest was easy. (I used the microwave to cook the pumpkin.) Remember you do need to have a "pie" pumpkin not just any old pumpkin. Pie pumpkins are smaller and less stringy. I found mine at my grocery store (it was labeled as a pie pumpkin and was with the decorative corn and other pretty gourds and squashes) but most pumpkin patches should have them if you ask. There is also a link for roasting the seeds. www.pumpkinpatchesandmore.org/pumpkinseeds.php . That is my project for today. If you aren't into pumpkins they also have lots of ideas and recipes for apples. The red items in my picture are the first of our leaves in our yard to turn. (Yeah... they look a bit like rose petals but they really are leaves.)

1 comment:

TracyMichele said...

I am here via LikeMerchantShips. I bought a baking pumpkin for the first time this year and that is as far as my dare-devil self went! I couldn't figure out how to cook it. Thanks for the link. My Dad is going to be SO impressed when I make his Thanksgiving pie from SCRATCH!